Monday, September 14, 2009

Tomato Sauce

Normally I would use a mixture of different kinds of garden-fresh tomatoes, including lots of Roma, but I managed to get some slightly "blemished" tomatoes for $1 per pound at the market. So I bought 10 lbs. Blanched, peeled and seeded them. Cooked the tomato pulp until it was softened. Added two large cloves of coarsely chopped Gabriola garlic (which is stronger than the common supermarket variety) and a nice big fat coarsely chopped shallot. Simmered it until the tomatoes were really soft and the garlic and shallots cooked. Then I smushed them with my handy-dandy immersion blender. I added some fresh sage, thyme, Italian oregano and basil leaves - all whole - and simmered for about an hour - until it was thickened, then I took out the herbs and discarded them. Then I added a goodly sized clove of crushed garlic and some freshly chopped herbs (see above), some Maldon salt and turned off the heat. (Also added the juice of one lemon and about 1/3 cup of white wine which I reduced to 1/4 cup - just because I had it in the fridge.) Next time, I will add two juices of lemon. From start to finish, I think I reduced the total "watery liquidness" of the tomatoes by a good inch and a half or thereabouts from the top of the pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment