Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Good Food in a Box, Delivered Right To My Door




I have just signed up for a food share program in Toronto! Every week, a box of fresh, locally grown produce will be delivered to my door. After researching several of these programs in Toronto, the service I decided on is Mama Earth Organics. Gavin and I love to cook, and I think this will be a tasty and inspiring way to enjoy local food over the summer. I am anticipating exploring less common vegetables that will surely send me scurrying to my cook books (and this blog!) to find new ways to prepare them. I am also excited that I won't be buying the wilted, dirty, truck-ripened produce from the grocery store across the street. It may be convenient, but it's also scary!

Just wanted to share my exciting food news!

6 comments:

  1. What a great photo to go with that post!
    It makes my mouth water - though I DID just read that scone recipe!

    I've thought of doing that too.
    You'll have to let us know how i goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frank and I are working on the "less common vegetables" list too. My fav? Fennel. Grilled until slightly caramelized with a little EVOO, sea salt and freshly ground Tellicherry pepper. Or chopped, raw, in a green salad with an orange-infused olive oil dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Y'all need to go to the liberry and get borrow a copy of "The Flavor Bible" by Karen Page & Andrew Dornenburg. (American spelling due to American spelling of title.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My food box arrived yesterday! So exciting! We got oranges, bananas, peaches, fiddleheads (NEED RECIPE IDEAS, LADIES!), lemons, limes, potatoes, purple carrots, bok choy, boston lettuce, tomatoes...I can't wait for lunch!

    So if anyone out there has a super recipe for fiddleheads, help a girl out because the last time I made them it was a disaster of tannins and dirt!!

    ReplyDelete